[pct-l] BioOne Online Journals - Effects of an Electrolyte Additive on Hydration and Drinking Behavior During Wildfire Suppression

Diane Soini dianesoini at gmail.com
Sun Feb 16 15:04:37 CST 2014

The word is hyponatremia.

SCaps are pretty good. They're a capsule, not a drink.

I always just used crystal light lemonade hydration. Sometimes I just
used diet lemonade mix and added a pinch of salt. I did not suffer
with getting enough hydration, though. I tend toward hyponatremia.
That is when you have drunk too much water.

What happens is I get thirsty, I drink water but it doesn't satisfy,
so I drink more and end up drinking too much and I start to feel
worse instead of better. I've learned to recognize when this happens,
so no matter how thirsty I get, I force myself to not drink anymore
water. Instead, try to get to a place where I can have something
really salty, like potato chips or soup or even just pour a handful
of salt on my hand and lick it.

A good read for hyponatremia is Waterlogged by Tim Noakes. There's a
review out there on a runner's blog that saves you having to actually
read the book. Look it up if you are interested.

Diane