[pct-l] sleeping bag vs quilt

Jim Marco jdm27 at cornell.edu
Sun Jan 5 17:38:07 CST 2014

Brick,
"Like many other Jardine-isms, I think it has been taken to absurd extremes. I see no benefit over a traditional bag for a solo hiker."
	Yeah, I agree that a lot of Ray Way stuff is taken to extremes. But, under laying it is a bit of truth. In this case, the compression of the insulation under you (be it down or synthetic) causes loss of R value. While the insulation is not quite worthless, as in an extreme case, it just contributes a lot less to your warmth than the uncompressed insulation above you. Big Agnes has the single sided bags with a pad pocket below. But, they only use 600fill down in them, so, they are heavy anyway.
	My thoughts only . . .
		jdm