[pct-l] Planning PCT Oregon Section

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Tue Jan 7 23:28:27 CST 2014

 1.  Is there convenient public transportation or for-hire private
transportation to reach a start point at the PCT near the
California/Oregon border?

The border is about 25 trail miles south of the only convenient road
access (Interstate 5) just south of Ashland Oregon.  Getting to
Callahans (near the PCT I5) crossing should be easy from Ashland. You
can get to Ashland by public transport.

Siskiyou Summit Road, a dirt road (NF20) from Ashland ski resort will
get you quite close to the CA/OR border crossing. The trail parallels
it most of the way

2.  At the Oregon/Washington border is there convenient public
transportation or for hire private transportation to reach a rental
car location?

Yes. The Town of Cascade Locks is right there and you are on I-84.
Transport is easy

3.  Will I need a bear cannister?
it is not required

4.  Is finding water a problem?
No. Not usually, not for most of it, though it can be dryer during
thru hiking season that much of the trail just south of it. After the
deserts in the south, it didn't seem like a big deal to me, but if you
are starting there, the maybe?

5.  Recommendations for resupply points?
http://www.pctplanner.com

6.  Recommendations for maps/books?
Lots around for download. try http://www.pctmap.net/ or get his smartphone app.

7.  Any other advice?