[pct-l] Umbrella Holder

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 18:33:57 CST 2014

Hey Mademoiselle,

I snug my chest strap over the shaft of the umbrella and then pull it down
tight over my pack and my head and it usually stays right there.  If
there's a wind I'll use the shock cord loop at the bottom of my chrome dome
to hook to my belt with a small carabiner of even a small hook.  This way
in all but the worst of blows, I've been able to use both hiking poles when
walking or take pictures from under the umbrella without having to hold
onto it.  In a bad blow I just stow one pole and use a hand for the
umbrella.

The only time I had any equipment failure with an umbrella was when I was
using it in the sun in the deserts of NM on the Divide and tried to tango
with an ocotillo I couldn't see because of the brim of the umbrella.  It
broke one of the struts at its plastic hinge and put a few pin holes in the
fabric.  That evening I bored a very small hole with my knife in the
plastic piece and lashed it together with a bit of ZPacks line and it made
it all the rest of the way to Canada, no problems.

Shroomer