[pct-l] Government shutdown

Diane Soini dianesoini at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 16:25:29 CST 2014

Sadly during the government shutdown, volunteer projects also could not
be done and had to be postponed or canceled.

Every time I have hiked the PCT there have been volunteers working the
trail. Even some of the heavy-duty tread work they do is without
motorized machinery.

The one exception that I saw was the crew that was building the bridges
and repairing the damage in the Suiattle river area. They were using
dynamite when I came through. There were even warning signs along the
trail about the dynamite and I heard some go off. I had to shout as I
approached. Anyway, they and their tools, equipment and "housing" were
brought in by helicopter, from what I heard. This was inside a
wilderness area. These guys were not volunteers.