[pct-l] official route at Echo Lake

David Hough on pct-l pcnst2001 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 22 17:03:11 CDT 2014

You probably know that since the PCNST is designated for both hikers and stock,
from the Forest Service point of view the official route has to be one that stock
can handle - lower Crater Lake, Benson Plateau, etc. rather than Crater Lake Rim
and Eagle Creek.

So if you're obsessive-compulsive about it, you might want
to do both - and if you go to extremes, you can start wondering whether the official unofficial route is all the way on Eagle Creek to Wahtum Lake or taking the "shortcut" to Indian Springs -

http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/pct-l/2013-August/070035.html

Anyway I probably missed my chance to take the equestrian alternate to

Sulphur Springs Campground when I was there some years ago, and now it probably isn't there any more - part of the Station Fire I think.

HOWEVER I did just notice that there is an equestrian route across the outlet
of Echo Lakes near Tahoe.    Stock aren't wanted on the hiker bridge across the
outlet.    So for completeness I went both ways and noticed that on the stock route, there is a rather
fine viewpoint of the southern Tahoe Basin that isn't exactly matched anywhere on
the hiker trail.      So if you missed that on your through hike, you'll just have
to keep doing the trail over until you get it right.