[pct-l] Respect

JoAnn jomike at cot.net
Mon May 26 12:09:32 CDT 2014

I’m not always good at expressing my feelings but I’ll give this a try.

I have long maintained that not reading the guide books  (do most of you even know what I am referring to?) runs the risk of a far lesser experience with the PCT. For some years now the youngest thru hikers make reference as to their location on the trail by just mileage numbers. I fear they loose a lot of emotional and psychological connection to the trail by seeing it as just numbers and not really knowing the trail. There are three books in the series, two for CA and one for OR and WA. and the reading of these addresses virtually everything having to do with the trail: history, geology, rocks, biology, the role of fire, etc. It describes each section of trail and warns of possible dangers. The guide book, though out dated, has very inclusive maps and the authors give escapes routes in case of need to leave the trail due to emergency. It gives mileage between landmarks and gives step-by-step descriptions of the trail. Yes, again, it is a bit out dated: it is missing a fair amount of trails washed out due to very aggressive storms and miscellaneous closures. It is not the end all, be all and yet, hiking the trail without reading it, is to deny yourself  a real emotional identification and alignment with the trail.  With no attachment to the trail I fear there are hikers who see no need to respect and protect it. They are missing the heart connection to the PCT.

are wee there yet