[pct-l] Paying Bills While Thru-hiking

Lyn Turner thelyn at icloud.com
Tue Nov 4 18:17:31 CST 2014

Just to add to the discussion which may help travellers from Outside the USA:  I spent 3 months on the PCT this year (90 day visa). Most of my domestic bills are paid by direct debit (oops, I forgot about Thames Water, but no big deal). My mail when I was on the PCT was redirected to a friend in London who was alerted to looking out for anything urgent.

Otherwise, I found a currency card useful. This is a card you load up before you leave your home country. The benefit is that you don't get charged transaction fees or exchange currency fees, which would both normally swing in when using your card abroad. I loaded mine with £1k sterling before I left, and topped it up on the way. Very convenient and easy to use -- just like your normal debit card and no hidden charges, and the exchange rate is fixed as you buy USD when you load the card. So you know where you are, exchange-rate wise. Which, if like me, you don't care for continually updating your mental arithmetic...

Scottish Lyn

Sent from my iThing