[pct-l] Map and Compass

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Wed Sep 10 15:57:09 CDT 2014

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 1:20 PM, marmot marmot
<marmotwestvanc at hotmail.com> wrote:
> It was map and compass in '94 too. The trail was finished.  All the new apps,GPS etc are fun and at times reassuring. But, as I just experienced on the CDT in the San Juan's, I could be standing right on trail next to a 813 post and the GPS told me I was not "on trail ". I also experienced the GPS showing me on trail--the trail did not exist.<

Prior to  2000 "Selective Availability" of the GPS system meant that
the civilian receivers had degraded accuracy. In 1996 U.S. President
Bill Clinton issued a policy directive to end that, and it took 4
years to implement.

Kids today don't know how good they've got it.