[pct-l] Snow

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 08:24:59 CST 2015

Good advice Roadwalker.  I haven't used the Whippet, but would in future
based on so many positive recommendations.  However, I have used real
walking cramps and can attest to their performance.  I used Kahtoola
aluminum cramps over the High Sierra in 2010, a high snow year, and wore
them daily for 5 weeks to Sonora Pass, where I mailed them home in my bear
can from Kennedy Meadows North.   They were my favorite piece of gear that
year.  No rolling, no question of my footing, I could kick in steps and do
a proper plunge step as with steel cramps and they are easy on and off.
They turned my trail runners into proper snow and ice shoes as they're
built for use with that kind of light footwear.  Because the front two
points are bent down and not out as with a traditional cramp, you can
really hike in them without the fear of stabbing your achilles tendon.

We carried them in the San Juans of the CDT in 2012, a low snow year and
only used them once, and could have gone without, but If it's a high snow
year, get them.  They're worth the small amount of extra weight over
microspikes.

Thanks for the timely thread.  We're getting hammered just now on the West
Coast and we're hoping for more and more of this wonderful wet stuff.  With
proper gear, the High Sierra section of our hike in 2010, was without
question the hardest hiking we'd ever done, but also the most fun and most
rewarding.  Don't shy away from snow and ice, but have the gear and skills
to do it properly.

Shroomer