[pct-l] Halfmile maps, 2014 vs 2015

walt Durling durlfam4 at icloud.com
Sun Feb 15 16:28:48 CST 2015

At the risk of negative feedback (if so, be not aggressive), I agree that one could safely hike the PCT without a map or compass.  While not quite the ease of the AT for keeping to the trail, it's pretty darn close.  I set out with the 1/2 mile maps last year and never used them.  From time to time I asked other hikers along the way and pretty much got the same response. Everything else being equal, it would be snow covered trail in the high Sierra which might be a reason for taking them, as well as potential early snow in the northern Cascades.

 While I didn't thru hike last year, I covered several hundred miles in the Sierra and Oregon.  I hiked into the Sierra ahead of most hikers and encountered snow, some deep, for several days where the trail wasn't obvious in many places.  My iphone apps kept me on the trail.  But most times it wasn't that difficult without the apps.  About every hour or so I'd check an app to make sure I wasn't straying afield.

Yes, I know I know.  My gizmos could break or run out of power.  But even so, for most hikers there will be someone ahead and someone behind, and getting actually despairingly lost is low on the risk scale.  I met one elderly gent who was taken aback when I gently pointed out he was miles and miles from where he thought the map showed his position. He had read the map wrong and wasn't keeping a close tab on his whereabouts.  He was square in the trail, inly about 8 miles from where he thought he was. That could happen to anyone, so having a paper map without the necessary skills to use it it just carrying needless weight.  This is just my opinion - not trying to talk anyone  out of paying/carrying maps.

Sent from my iPad