[pct-l] Fwd: Camlbak All Clear

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 20:56:57 CST 2015

And just to reiterate one point, to filter 8 liters of water at a time, the
best and easiest way I've found is a gravity feed no matter whose and no
matter how rigged.  Because you simply walk away once it's set up and it
keeps working.

You may want to go back to the gravity feed source and build a Jardine
gravity feed which can hold several gallons of water at a fill.  I used one
for my whole family and for trips with youth groups for years.  I made my
first based on the plans he lays out in the "PCT Hiker's Handbook" which is
the book that got many of us thinking about ultra light hiking back in the
'90s​.  Basically you use a cartridge filter from a pump style filter and
make a syl nylon bag.  Cut out a large circle of very light syl nylon.  Sew
on a number of loops around the perimeter and thread a nylon rope through
the loops so that you can pull them all together to create a bag.  Next cut
a small hole in the center just the diameter of the sealing gasket of the
outflow end of the filter element.  Insert the outflow end of the filter
element into the hole and wrap it many times with fine but very strong
nylon thread forcing the syl nylon into the gasket groove to form a
watertight seal.  It isn't as hard as it sounds.  Attach a hose to the
filter end, fill with the bag with water and hang it up.  It filters fast
until it's really gunked up at which point I'd just replace the filter
element and that was years down the line.  The bag is super light and
strong and holds a groups worth of water at a fill.  I'd usually leave it
hanging and just fill from smaller containers as needed.

Mine lasted many years and still works well.  The beauty of the the
Sawyer/Platypus set up is the ease of construction.  Use a 3 liter Platy
and you're almost half way there.  It's still tons easier than using a
steri pen or pumping or squeezing.  I filtered for Yoshihiro and me all
month long and it was much easier than squeezing the bag like I'd done on
the CDT the year before.

Shroomer