[pct-l] FUEL

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Sat Jan 17 16:05:59 CST 2015

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 4:22 PM, Leslie LaRocca <larocca690 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am confused about fuel. I have always used an MSR Pocket Rocket, but am
> just now finding out that it is illegal to ship fuel via the USPS.

It is not illegal, it just has to be packaged and marked
appropriately, as "ORM-D Surface Mail only" and there are some
quantity limitations.

http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c3_019.htm

>. I don't have a problem switching to one of the
> stoves, but I read that HEET puts out INCREDIBLY toxic gases...why would I
> want to use this then? I know all fuels put out emissions, but HEET seems
> like a horrible idea. I also understand that denatured alcohol burns much
> cleaner, but is not as readily available.

There are 2 types of HEET. One in a red bottle that you don't want to
use, as it is petroleum based and won't work in your alky stove
(BOOM!)

The other HEET is in a yellow bottle and it is just denatured alcohol.
AND non HEET denatured alcohol is available along the trail in lots of
places.

Let the Stove Wars begin (again)