[pct-l] Trail report

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Tue Jul 7 18:04:21 CDT 2015

I just finished the section from Chief Joseph Ps to Hwy 569, Lower Seymour Lake. Snow is not an issue - you'd have to go off trail to walk in some. Navigation was easy - lots of signage, cairns, well- worn paths. Used mostly bear creek maps with my gps and had no delays or backtracking. Most scenic spots were top of Rainbow Mtn and Goat Flats. Below Goat Flats a FS crew is improving the trail, using dynamite & heavy hand equipment, rappelling ropes w/ carabiners, hard hats, etc.  Some serious work. Temporary hazardous areas being created where blast debris slides down to th switchback level below - unstable footing. They have an airhorn at bottom to blast when you start up ( going south). Worst sections were burn areas north & east of Chief Joseph, with many blow downs. I passed a FS crew headed in with saws to work on clearing.

Obvious that a huge amount of work had and is being done to create a great trail. Thanks to all who have contributed.
Mango