[pct-l] cleaning

Herb Stroh HStroh at sjmslaw.com
Wed Jun 10 14:54:02 CDT 2015

I agree with samacitta: avoid using soaps, bio or otherwise, in the backcountry. It introduces chemicals that do not belong there. A towel bath with bandana is surprisingly refreshing and sufficient between towns.

In addition, if you have treated your clothes with permethrin please avoid exposing them directly into water sources. I know that manufacturers contend the product dissipates quickly in the environment, but it is yet another non-natural chemical we are introducing into the backcountry. Take a large zip lock with water and 'wash' them away from the water source.

Also, on a wet-foot crossing, consider rinsing off your legs away from the stream before entering if you have applied sunscreen or repellant. It may seem like nominal exposure, but the cumulative effect of many hikers over a season magnifies the impact on water sources.

Herb