[pct-l] Section hikers need advice re: starting north of Sonora Pass in early- or mid-May

robert bobbilbo at msn.com
Fri Mar 13 14:14:43 CDT 2015

Bling and Strog,

It is too early to tell whether conditions starting north of Sonora Pass will be sufficiently snow-free by mid-May for what you're prepared to deal with.  If you are trained to travel in snow and properly equipped then you should be able to start there that early.  If not you should have a backup plan and defer the decision whether to start at Sonora until after May 1.
A decent sense of what's still on the ground (whether at Sonora or somewhere north of Tahoe) can be obtained from PCTA's detailed trail map with the "Snow Depth" overlay.  This is a satellite-based product so it will give you a derived, blurred (ie averaged over sensor pixels) picture, but when considered over large patches of ground gives pretty good estimates.
Bob/Bilbo Livezey