[pct-l] Trekking Poles

David Money Harris David_Harris at hmc.edu
Tue Mar 17 12:27:16 CDT 2015

I didn’t care for trekking poles in my 20s but started using them in my 30s and love them in my 40s.  They are also part of my tent support and now are necessary.  I see very few thru-hikers without poles, and few who don’t use their poles to support their tent because this saves at least half a pound.

 After trying the most expensive poles at REI and returning them as unsatisfactory, I settled on the REI Carbon Power Lock Women’s Trekking Poles.  They were the lightest poles REI sells, and were just long enough for me (5’10”) and my tent. At $129, they are also one of the cheapest options, especially for carbon fiber.  The power lock lever has been more reliable for me than the twist locks that some other brands use.  For some reason, the women’s model is blue!

David