[pct-l] Pct-L Digest, Vol 87, Issue 19

David Money Harris David_Harris at hmc.edu
Fri Mar 20 12:16:44 CDT 2015

Cheri,

The only difficult creek crossings in California are in the Sierra.  In a normal year, Bear Creek and Evolution Creek are both interesting for much of the summer but are routinely crossed safely by thousands of hikers a year.  Many other creeks can be extremely challenging during times of peak snow melt (often early June), but are docile the rest of the year.

When I hiked through the Sierra in early July 2012, I scarcely got my feet wet.  It was a drought year.  This year is drought too, and you shouldn’t worry about the creeks unless you plan to hit the Sierra in early season.

If you are NOBO, you’ll reach Oregon and Washington well after snowmelt and shouldn’t have major issues.

David