[pct-l] PCT Prep

DayLate07 . dthibaul07 at gmail.com
Mon May 18 22:36:44 CDT 2015

I have never carried 10 liters of water on the PCT - 6 is typical in the
drier stretches (YMMV).

The best thing you could do to prepare for the PCT is to go on a couple of
overnight hikes.  Start will a single overnight hike.  Then work your way
up to a two night hike then 3. If you can find someone to hike with during
these, that would be great.

Hiking the PCT is a physical endeavor but thru hiking is even more a mental
endeavor.   It really comes down to desire and what you want to do.
When I'm out on a long hike, I'm almost always tired, worn down and
beat- but I am also smiling more hours/day than anything else I do.  There
are tough moments when I think to myself - what the heck am I doing out
here, usually when I'm wet and cold and the body aches and the wind is
whipping but then a short will later the smile comes back.  Don't worry
about 'are you tough enough' to physically handle the hike.  Barring an
injury a thru hike is doable by almost anyone with normal typical physical
capabilities.  If you want to thru hike, again barring an injury, you will
be able to.
The overnight hikes will give you a chance to get comfortable out on the
trail.

Remember a thru hike is really just a week long hike taken 25 times in a
row.
I would guess that the typical pack weight is around 15 to 18 lbs without
food or water.  Your pack will weigh more leaving town then entering a town
and more in dry sections then in wet sections.  After a month or two on the
trail you will really only notice the difference in pack weight at the
extremes - when just leaving a town or filling up for a dry section.

Enjoy -  having (or making) the opportunity to thru hike is one of the
great gifts of life.

Also If you get a chance to talk to a previous thru hiker do so.  If you
get a chance, head to the kick off a year before you head out and talk to
people and ask questions.  You will find at least 500 folks sitting around
that want to do nothing else but talk about the PCT.... Or ask questions
here.

Day-Late