[pct-l] Compass vs GPS & missing hikers

Dan Welch welchenergy at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 17:37:51 CDT 2016

Herb - I'm with you on this one. If you go trekking for miles in flat,
featureless land, then a truly accurate compass may be a real benefit.  But
all I ever use one for in the mountains is to orient my map and match the
map features to land features.  Moderate accuracy is fine for that.  I've
been backpacking for decades with cheap compasses in the Sierras and never
gotten lost.  My experience doing the PCT was much the same.  I find the
accuracy of the compass is far less important than how you use it.  But I
guess if you mis-use a really good compass, you'll be more exactly wrong.
Right??

Timberline