[pct-l] Bear Spray // Re: Pct-L Digest, Vol 98, Issue 20

jcil000-hiker at yahoo.com jcil000-hiker at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 21 12:13:58 CST 2016

Conflicted National Park rules and regs?
Impossible ! Government operates as a well oiled machine.
Two years ago, my friends and I were specially told we could NOT take bear spray into the Hetch Hetchy region.
I asked why Yellowstone NP allowed bear spray where at least 1/3 of packers have it in plain viewand Mr. Ranger at Hetch Hetchy gave an inadequate answer. But he was quick to ask uswhen we arrived if we had bear spray with us with an attitude.
But if anyone is really concerned about bears where spray is prohibited, check out"bear bells." The concept is to alert the bear to your presence so you don't bump intoone another and spook him which could result in an attack upon yourself. They costabout $15 and hang from your pack while making a little noise but not a lot. They can alsobe turned off, so to speak, with a little thingy that they come with. So you can use them in the bush where you have less distance visibility and turn them off in the open where you feelsafer. Rangers in Alaska say they prefer them to spray because spray is used at that last second...better to alert the bears in advance of trouble.
Day Early