[pct-l] Bear spray? Let's try cougar, person, and dog spray.

Bob bobandshell97 at verizon.net
Tue Feb 23 04:31:24 CST 2016

I just want to give some on the list yet another opportunity to feel
superior.

Someone just posted: "I hate to be the guy to add even more to this somewhat
ridiculous topic."   Of course. then let ME be the one.  All this focus has
been on pepper spray as "bear" deterrent.  I absolutely agree that bears
will probably never harm you on a hike. True. yet black bears have attacked
(rarely) and actually killed, as in the woman in the Smokies just a couple
years ago.  I've seen many a furry rump disappearing away from me in a hurry
and even had one growl at me just 8 feet away from the bushes. Yet, no
problem.  Even the mama with a cub that I stumbled onto in Lassen NP
scurried away. thankfully.

However, cougars in California (and in several incidents in Colorado) are
something for hikers to be a bit more mindful of.  As one reads of the few
attacks that do occur, simply stabbing the Mt. Lion that has a grip on YOUR
head with the pen in your pocket does not seem to deter it.  Finally in one
incident in CA, the wife got the cougar to let go of her husband's head only
after pounding it in the head repeatedly with a heavy stick.  I'd like a
real deterrent in my front pocket, just in case.  Ok, I'm the kind of guy
who buys health insurance (you know, just in case) and auto coverage (just
in case).  Some of you may recall from Squatch's videos that it was I who
told of the mt. biker who came up from behind us before Pines to Palms Hwy
and asked if my wife and I had seen cougar tracks.  My answer was "No, and I
know what they look like."  He replied, "Well, there are some behind you and
they're INSIDE your boot tracks."   My wife even had one follow her in
Virginia, as she hiked alone on the AT.  Yup, I said Virginia, where the FS
plays their presence down.

On the PCT once north of Etna, an oncoming male hiker literally knocked me
out of the way when I mistakenly stopped in the middle of the trail to
initiate a smiling "Hi, how are you?"  He obviously was having a bad day.
Not all people on the trails are sweet folks.  Most, but not all.  At the
Congdon Shelter in Vermont on the A.T in 1982 a male hiker was raped at
gunpoint.  As most of you are aware, there have been on the AT, over the
decades, at least 3 incidents of murder and rape.  Several times, my gut
instinct has strongly told me to move on from a shelter or campsite because
of others there.

Dogs. Ok, on the PCT you're not likely to have a dog go ballistic on seeing
you with a backpack on, but it has happened to me on the CDT (twice) and on
the AT.  I've never been bitten, but it's been close.  And I always hear the
owner say, "Oh, they've never done THAT before!"  Yeah, right.

Oh, and on the AT at South Pond just below Rangeley, I stumbled onto a mama
moose who had twin babies just feet away in the bushes that I had no way of
knowing about.  As she turned to advance on me, her hackles were up at least
4 inches and I looked for a tree. anything. to get behind.

So, in over 35 years and over 12,000 miles of carrying a 4.3 oz, 5.5 inch
long, Counter Assault pepper spray on my hikes, you're right.  I've NEVER
had to use it.  Does that prove your point?   Nope.  I'm not a 6'5" 250 lb
muscular linebacker type and I hike with my wife.  I ENJOY that tiny bit of
protection that those 4.3 ounces afford us.  All of you carry at least 4.3
ounces of optional, discretionary equipment (often just to listen to music)
that you CHOOSE to carry.   Just hit the Mt. Lion with that!

Walk well, folks.     Dr. Bob