[pct-l] Bear spray? Let's try cougar, person, and dog spray.

Luce Cruz lucecruz13 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 10:27:03 CST 2016

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 3:31 AM, Bob <bobandshell97 at verizon.net> wrote:
True. yet black bears have attacked

> (rarely) and actually killed, as in the woman in the Smokies just a couple
> years ago.

Welcome to the PCT, on the other side of the country from The Smokies.

>   I've seen many a furry rump disappearing away from me in a hurry
> and even had one growl at me just 8 feet away from the bushes. Yet, no
> problem.  Even the mama with a cub that I stumbled onto in Lassen NP
> scurried away. thankfully.

No bear spray needed so far. You'll recognize a pattern soon.

>  As one reads of the few (cougar)

> attacks that do occur,

Cougars act very different from bears. If one really wants to attack you,
you'll never know it is coming. No bear spray needed as you won't have the
chance to use it.

Not all people on the trails are sweet folks.  Most, but not all.  At the
> Congdon Shelter in Vermont on the A.T in 1982 a male hiker was raped at
> gunpoint.  As most of you are aware, there have been on the AT, over the
> decades, at least 3 incidents of murder and rape.

Sounds like:
-  Having to dig back to 1982 to create fear of people on a trail on the
other side if the country (welcome to the PCT-L) is pretty weak sauce, and
- Only three incidents of murder and/or rape over decades? Safer than just
about any medium sized city. Bravo for making a point that long distance
hiking is safer than any other daily life in The City.

Dogs. Ok, on the PCT you're not likely to have a dog go ballistic on seeing
> you with a backpack on, but it has happened to me on the CDT (twice) and on
> the AT.  I've never been bitten, but it's been close.

You still haven't needed any bear spray, and you weren't on the PCT.

Oh, and on the AT at South Pond just below Rangeley, I stumbled onto a mama
> moose who had twin babies just feet away in the bushes that I had no way of
> knowing about.  As she turned to advance on me, her hackles were up at
> least
> 4 inches and I looked for a tree. anything. to get behind.

If anyone sees a moose and babies on the PCT, make sure you let the
appropriate authorities know. That would be big news!

So, in over 35 years and over 12,000 miles of carrying a 4.3 oz, 5.5 inch
> long, Counter Assault pepper spray on my hikes, you're right.  I've NEVER
> had to use it.  Does that prove your point?   Nope.

You're absolutely right. It shows that people PACK FOR THEIR FEARS. Get
those fears out of your head, and enjoy your hike at least a little more.
--
Luce Cruz