[pct-l] Rain jackets

Jay Bruins jbruins at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 10:42:11 CST 2016

I have a previous version of the Zpacks pants and jacket. They work fantastic with two issues. When you're in rain for a week straight, sometimes you just want some pockets. I ended up shipping my North Face Gortex Proshell jacket to myself in WA just because I was wearing my gear so much in Oregon. Zpacks is optimized for the pack, so it was perfect most of the trip. The other issue is despite being the most breathable gear I've owned, it's still not good enough. For light rain, I'd often avoid putting anything on while actually walking—stripping to shorts and a T-shirt to minimize the amount of wet fabric. In the Sierra, you know rain is coming. Carry an extra liter of water when it is and you can eat a comfortable late lunch/early dinner in your tent during the hour and a half it takes to pass (this also avoids going over passes with lightning). I would like to try an umbrella on my next hike (with a Zpacks jacket for when the wind is too strong).

--------
Sent from my iPhone.
Please pardon the brevity.