[pct-l] Good will

Matthew Edwards iceaxehikes at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 18:21:55 CST 2016

[pct-l] Charging in town

Jay Bruins jbruins at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 14:31:02 CST 2016
Just so we’re clear, the cost to charge a modern phone is peanuts:
http://blog.opower.com/2014/09/iphone-6-charging-47-cents/

$0.47/365days * 4 days between towns = $0.0051 per town*. This is no more
“theft” than finding a penny on the ground and taking it with you.

Now, consider the advice to always ask: let’s assume each request took 30
seconds and the employee you’re asking is only being paid the national
minimum wage of $7.25/hour; that’s 30s * 1 min / 60s * 1hr/ 60 min *
$7.25/hr = $0.06!

The *true* cost of plugging in is that you’re more likely to be hanging out
for longer while your phone charges (or, back in your home city, you’re
able to work longer on your laptop) and you’re not purchasing any more
services from the business as a result. If you’re keeping a table to
yourself or spreading out on a porch and deterring other business, you’re
doing far more hard-to-measure harm to the business that the electricity
you’re taking.

I fully understand that societal norms don’t alway match reason, but if
you’re going to worry about how you present yourself, you should focus on
the big picture. I, for one, would like to think a hiker who recently took
a bandana-bath sitting next to an organized pack (one that gets you easy
hitch-hikes) with a friendly demeanor can start conversations and *attract*
business.

Armstrong

*I’m well aware that electricity prices can be much higher in trail towns.
If you were to use electricity from Grumpy Bear, which operates on a
generator, your numbers would be much higher.