[pct-l] Sierra Mosquitos

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 00:57:53 CDT 2016

Hey Rick,

That's usually a better time than earlier in July.  It gets better the
later you go into August, but always figure mosquitoes can be an issue in
the high country in the short summer that region experiences.  I don't
carry anything different from June through Sept. up there.  I like
Exofficio clothes mainly because they last for many miles,  but also
because some of them are treated with permethryn, an insecticide. I also
send clothes off to Insect Shield in N. Carolina to have them treated
professionally.  In my waist band pocket I always keep a head net as that
is the first place a swarm of mosquitoes in the Sierra, or those nasty face
flies in the deserts, seem to head for.  It's such a quick relief to just
whip that sucker on in a pinch.  I also carry deet, but seldom use it, as
the clothing and net are usually enough.  Also, a bug proof shelter is
essential unless you want to struggle with night born attacks.  I just get
a better sleep when I've got bug protection up there.  Choose your camp
sights well.  Down near the water is always more buggy than up on a breezy
height.   That alone can help a lot.

I'm using all of this in Madagascar this summer where malarial mosquitoes
are the issue when in the jungles.  So far so good.  It's the dead of
winter down here and while present, the bugs are not as bad as during the
Southern summer.

Have a great hike!  The High Sierra is wonderful!

Shroomer