[pct-l] Calling all Meteorologists, Prophets, and Pychics

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.org
Tue Mar 1 22:27:27 CST 2016

Mike,

I can speak to 1982/83 because that was Mountain Education's first year
teaching snow skills to thru hikers! (I completed the trail in 1974 after a
normal-heavy snow winter).

I remember we had 28 feet of snow on the ground in March when I started
taking people into the Tahoe backcountry. I didn't get down to SeKi, where
we teach now, to see how the creeks treated what thru hikers may have been
there in May, but I can certainly speak to two of our more recent high snow
years, 2010 and 2011, in this regard!

The creeks after the thaw starts will be roaring, white with froth, deep,
and swift. No place for a novice! The snowline for May of 2010 was at 10,000
and for 2011 it was at 9,500, meaning miles of snow hiking. (This is the
time period if you might be north-bound as a thru hiker). July 4th of 2010
still had 4 feet of snow on Muir Pass....

My advice, don't put yourself in there without knowing how you're going to
stay safe!

If you have any further questions, ask away!

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education, Inc.
www.mountaineducation.org
ned at mountaineducation.org

Mission:
"To minimize wilderness accidents, injury, and illness in order to maximize
wilderness enjoyment, safety, and personal growth, all through experiential
education and risk awareness training."