[pct-l] Bear Canister requirement after Sonora Pass

TBrokaw at montmush.com TBrokaw at montmush.com
Tue May 3 19:33:30 CDT 2016

Although Ursack has IGBC cert. It is NOT listed on the JMT approved list.
Perhaps it may be in the future?
But relying on a Ursack inside the required areas at this time could
result in a stiff fine.

Tom Brokaw
Corporate Project Manager
Monterey Mushrooms
777 Maher Ct
Royal Oaks, CA 95076-9014
C: 831-535-2181
O: 831-274-5520

From:   JOSEPH LAFLAMME <jalaflamme at msn.com>
To:     Denis Stanton <denisstanton at mac.com>, PCT List
<pct-l at backcountry.net>,
Date:   05/03/2016 04:39 PM
Subject:        Re: [pct-l] Bear Canister requirement after Sonora Pass
Sent by:        Pct-L <pct-l-bounces at backcountry.net>

Denis
It is my understanding that bear canisters are NOT required after Sonora
Pass.  In fact there is a company that will pickup your bear canister and
sent it home for you at Sonora Pass.  A good alternative is a Ursack. They
make a Kevlar bag which when combined with odor proof bags is significant
lighter than a bear canister.   It has received IGBC certification.  Their
website is www.ursack.com
JoeSnake Charmer Hiking at Fifty & Beyond

Sent via the Samsung GALAXY S® 5, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone