[pct-l] Snow-free routes

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Mon Jan 23 22:05:42 CST 2017

Hey, Karen!

I'm happy to hear that you're going to be out on the trail this summer! Yes, I remember well the Snow Basics Course you attended in north Tahoe on the TRT back in 2011 and how courageously you deal with your limitations!

Mid-July to mid-October...and avoid steep snow patches after this winter may be challenging pretty much anywhere, I'm beginning to think! The advice from Jeff and Scott is good, but I want to add that NorCal, even though it may be lower in elevation, it is shady down in the trees, so the snow may remain covering the trail well into July. Remember, after big snow winters the main ski areas like Squaw and Mammoth can stay open (certainly on their higher runs) to July 4th, meaning just north of Squaw and Donner there may be lingering snow even at trail elevation. Those were the almost the conditions we experienced on our SBC in that area in 2011. All it takes is a steep patch of snow across the trail to send you into emergency planning mode (How do I get around this thing?).

Look at a trail profile, pick the lowest elevations in NorCal, call ahead to the ranger stations to find out what the current trail conditions are, follow the trail reports from any thrus who've already gone through the area, and pick off the lowest and driest trail segments in a flip-flop manner. Oregon, being a bit flatter with less steep snow, could be safe going for you come the latter part of July, maybe. Washington I would stay out of, because it is steeper and more on and off ridges, until maybe mid-August. Again, call ahead. The Sierra from Donner south I wouldn't suggest you venture into until August 1st after the winter we're getting!

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education, Inc.
ned at mountaineducation.org