[pct-l] April 2017 Thru-Hike

Todd Cantor tcantor33 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 13:28:53 CST 2017

Greetings All,

Looking forward to an April 2nd departure date and planning for an interesting season. As a long time So. Cal (San Diego) resident I am watching the weather and clearly the early season has been eventful and a huge blessing for the state. Still vacillating on a flip of Nor-Cal/Oregon and Sierra due to a previously planned two week International trip in August that cannot be rescheduled, but at 48 I have spent plenty of time in the backcountry chasing Sierra rock climbing targets in the 5.FUN to 5.10+ range I am sending the gear for the Sierra to KM with full knowledge of the subjective risks of an early start into the Sierra’s (Late May/Early June). Snow travel is not as great a worry as the crossings so I am considering bringing some extra long cordage and some ‘biners to protect waist/low torso water level crossings but will be looking for fellow experienced hikers/climbers to work through the early season Sierra challenges. Solo in high water is not only dangerous, it could turn fatal with the simplest mistake. In any case, I am taking a wait and see approach and preparing to be equipped for either scenario. Looking forward to seeing fellow thru-hikers out there. At 48 I am not as fast as I used to be but experience with objective challenges leaves me cautiously and optimistically prepared for whatever we find out there.

On a different topic with a considerable upside, I can attest (first hand) to the fact that if we continue to get rain in So. Cal in Feb and some in March, the border thru at least Big Bear will be ALIVE with the bounty of So. Cal desert wildflowers, which for those that have not experienced this phenomena in the Sonoran (Anza-Borrego) and Mojave in the spring is an AMAZING and joyful experience.

Safe travels to all in getting to and on the trail. For those departing before or around April 2nd I can assist with a ride to the trailhead just reach out to me by email or reply to this post and we can work it out.

Cheers,
Todd