[pct-l] South Washington PCT Questions

Paint YW paintyourwagonhikes at gmail.com
Thu May 4 11:54:24 CDT 2017

Town Food,

I meant to address the routes I used to reach Trout Lake, but left them out
of my reply to you, so here they are for reference.

On my initial venture into town, I was SOBO. The first road "north" that I
crossed was NF 23, and was paved all the way into TL. It becomes Mt. Adams
Rd. near town.

My second trip to town was unplanned. I had left a pocket knife impaled in
a log that I sat on, to fix a foot issue. Once in camp, I realized my
mistake, and had to double back 5 miles to retrieve the knife. I was glad I
did, because I also discovered that my camp sandals were left behind in a
completely different location, yet thankfully, somewhat nearby.

It was pouring down rain, and the trail happened to cross a road that would
take me back to TL, so the decision to revisit TL was made all the easier
by my mistake and the inclement weather. This road's surface was dirt,
designated NF 60, otherwise known as Carson Guler Rd., which eventually
becomes 141. NOBO hikers would encounter this road first, on their way
around TL, but more than likely would elect to continue hiking north until
reaching the paved road (NF 23) in hopes of finding more traffic. There is
a trail-head here with limited parking, several campsites with a pit toilet
and a few picnic tables.

This is the "southern" route that I spoke of in my previous post.

There is a third way into TL, as another paved road marked NF 24, and named
Twin Buttes Rd., crosses the PCT further north. NF 24 eventually tees into
the Carson Guler Rd., a bit before CG turns into 141.

Halfmile only mentions the "northern" road (NF 23) on his maps as a route
into TL.

Paint.