[pct-l] Hiking Boots vs Trail Runners for Sierra 2017?

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Thu May 25 08:12:00 CDT 2017

I got to Sonoma Pass in 2010; had to get off there due to bad knee. I wore leather boots from KM to SP, but the other 4 of the team all wore trail runners, I think. We all had Kathoolas and seemed to do okay. Yes, boots take longer to dry - make sure you loosen up the laces A LOT at night up high. Putting frozen boots on next morning is a challenge.

In 2011 I started north from SP on 1 July (way too early) in trail runners w/ microspikes. I was by myself a lot of the time, and did not have gps. I spent a lot of time looking for the trail, which meant a lot of wasted effort and extra snow hiking. If you wear trail runners in those conditions, make sure you lace them extra well when crossing high creeks. I got knocked down at Miller Creek and lost one shoe. For the record, you can wear microspikes on a croc if you have to, but it's not recommended.

Mango