[pct-l] Subject: Re: Lake Marina kick off

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 04:19:44 CDT 2018

I’ll put in my two cents worth for an autumn hike of the desert sections. I
hadn’t planned to do a thru hike of the PCT in 2010, but found I was having
such a great time that spring that I just couldn’t stop. As it was all ad
lib so to speak, I had a family obligation that forced me off Trail for
about 300 miles of desert. So I finished at the Canadian border in mid
September, took two weeks off, and then returned to finish the desert
section I’d missed in October. It was absolutely gorgeous!

The year had begun with a bloom on the cactus and the bush poppies, but my
hike ended with lots of wild desert fruit, from wild plums and holly leafed
cherry and prickly pear, to a Trail covered in pine nuts by the million.
Local Native Americans we’re camped in some of the PCT camps with big
extended family gatherings, for a harvest that required rakes to gather
them all up.

I didn’t want for water, but was careful about making sure I carried enough
from source to source as some of the streams were dry.

Best of all was completing my hike at Hiker Heaven. My first thru hike and
the first time someone had completed their thru at the Saufley’s.

By October, the heat of summer was diminished enough that I had frosty
nights and really delightful days, and the trail was empty!  I loved the
Trail community of the summer, but also the joy of being alone in the
beauty of the So Cal desert at the tail end of the season. You will meet
some Sobos, and I actually met Eric Bo, also on his first hike, who I would
share 1,800 miles with on the CDT a few years later.

I can’t recommend the desert in fall more highly.

Shroomer