[pct-l] pctl IS ALIVE again...

Neil Lacey neil.lacey at comcast.net
Fri Mar 20 21:19:40 CDT 2020

Since the list is alive ...

About a year ago I posted looking for ideas about how to deal with the
high snow levels in the Sierra and got some great feedback from folks.
So, here's how things went.

I started out on April 7 at Scout and Frodo's, they picked me up at the
airport, provided dinner and breakfast, and a ride to the start the next
morning. I'm just amazed at their kindness/generosity.

It had been a wet winter, water and wildflowers were abundant. A perfect
year to hike southern California, it was incredibly beautiful. I had
heard stories about crowding, partying, TP everywhere but as it turned
out none of this was an issue. I mostly hiked alone through the day
(being old & slow), and sometimes camped with others.  A couple of times
camping spots were busy around water sources but it was easy enough to
just move on a bit and find a place to pitch a tent. I met so many
interesting folks from Germany, France, the UK, South Africa, Israel,
Korea, China, India, Australia, New Zealand, and all over the US. I got
to experience Hiker Heaven (Heather Anderson was there doing laundry!)
and Casa de Luna before they shut down!

Anyway, about the snow, everyone was stressing about what to do. I wound
up leaving Kennedy Meadows with 2 other older guys, Tim at 53, me at 64,
and Elusive at 75. Elusive would head out early in the morning (yeah
slower than me, but one tough cookie) and Tim and I would catch him
later in the day.  A couple days out, an icy morning an a steep
traverse, we stop to put on traction, Tim's crampon comes off, he drops
his hiking pole, reaches for it, and goes head first down the slope into
some rocks.  He's banged up pretty bad but can walk and winds up going
off trail at Lone Pine for surgery on his hand.  Elusive and I head back
out, up and over Forester Pass, it's spectacular! But the melt is on big
time.  Early the next morning, he realizes he can't see, gone snow
blind, but better after taking a zero, and we go out over Kearsarge
Pass, and Elusive is done, heading home for a dentist.  I'm having a
tough time in Bishop deciding what to do but wind up taking a bus up to
Chester.

To make a long story short, the snow's not bad and the miles start
clicking by, hit the border 3rd week of August then south from Chester
back to Kearsarge Pass 3rd week of September.

Plan was to start the CDT April 23 ... but COVID-19, next year.

Thanks y'all
Neil aka Goldfish