[pct-l] Subject: Older Hikers and COVID restrictions

Shaun Sexton sesexton at gci.net
Sat May 9 13:03:43 CDT 2020

Three cheers, Mary.  Hike on!!!!!

-----Original Message-----
From: Pct-L [mailto:pct-l-bounces at backcountry.net] On Behalf Of MARY E
DAVISON
Sent: Saturday, May 09, 2020 9:52 AM
To: pct-l at backcountry.net
Subject: [pct-l] Subject: Older Hikers and COVID restrictions

I don't recall how to send a chat response, after all, I'm kinda old.
However I am a Triple Crown hiker and at 78 I am still doing long distance
hiking, or was, until COVID 19, and hope to still continue. Yes, I am a
Grandma (of 10) and yes, I am paying attention to distancing from others.
Last time I noticed there were quite a few hikers past the age of 60 who
regularly do long trails, including the PCT. And, last I noticed, most hiker
folks who have retired qualify as having a comorbidity such as high blood
pressure, COPD and even Diabetes. Not all long distance hikers are young.
And those who are young will be old someday even if they can't imagine it
now. They will probably still like to hike, if able. And, although not as
many who are young and healthy die of COVID, some do. Much is not known yet
about this virus. Comments that seem to suggest all old people, those over
65, should just isolate themselves and be ignored are consigning hikers they
know to a new way of being hiker
 trashed separate from other hikers. Yet what all do effects all others.
Think about it.

Mary E Davison (Medicare Pastor)

Maybe the host can figure out how to post this or send me instructions.

List Archives: