[at-l] "Back then..." comparisons 1979-2004

Mara Factor m_factor at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 28 06:06:49 CDT 2006

FWIW, the Barefoot Sisters carried a zip-stove in 2000(sobo) and 2001(nobo).
  I did a small section with them near the end of their northbound hike
(NH/ME border).  We camped in the rain and they broke out their stove.  They
didn't seem to have any problems finding fuel.  Just looked under the
protective cover of evergreens, etc.

Still, it was big, bulky, used batteries (one battery probably weighs more
than my alcohol stove), but then they didn't have to carry fuel.  I think
it's a 15 ounce  stove. plus battery weight but no extra fuel weight.
Perhaps for two, not carrying fuel makes it effective but you have to be
willing to hunt scraps (pine cones and small pieces of wood) to burn.

There's now web sites with info on how to make the zip stove lighter, maybe
bringing the weight down to 8 oz or so.

Mara
Stitches, AT99

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor