[at-l] Any controls on this thing?

Carla & Dave Hicks daveh at psknet.com
Sat Sep 30 11:17:52 CDT 2006

I'm sure Tin Man will weigh in here shortly.

However, in the meantime hoz'bout some more information?

Size & shape of your pot?  The diameter of the pots base might be a factor.
For any given flame ring there is a optimum pot bottom.  Too small diameter
pots for any given stove tend to have the flame ride up the side rather than
heat the bottom.  Do the sides meet the bottom an a sharp angle, or do they
create a rounded corner/edge to the bottom?  Sharp turns tend to cause the
flames to spread outward and upward, whereas the flame tends to flow more
smoothly around rounded corners.  My rounded bottom 5 1/4 inch pot works quite
well with Tin Man's stove.

What type and how tight is your windscreen?  Wind screens tend to concentrate
the heat around the pot and stove.  Concentrating the heat on the pot is good.
However, too much heat concentrated on the stove will cause the alcohol to
evaporate too quicker and create a higher flame up the sides -- wasting
heat/fuel.  Also, too tight a wind screen lets too little air in under the
pot, so you get little combustion under the bottom of the pot and the unburned
alcohol fumes burn higher up the side of the pot as they come into contact
with oxygen.  As best I remember, Tin Man uses a rather open screen.  The one
I use with his stove is only about 5 3/4 inch in diameter -- however, it has a
large number of air holds at the bottom.

Chainsaw