[at-l] Hiking and Eating Ice Cream -- Is there a connection?

Bror8588 at aol.com Bror8588 at aol.com
Fri Feb 23 22:18:56 CST 2007

CHOCOLATE SINGS

One  day I had a date for lunch with friends. Mae, a little old "blue hair"
about 80  years old, came along with them---All in all, a pleasant bunch.  When
the  menus were presented, we ordered salads, sandwiches, and soups, except
for Mae  who said, "Ice Cream, please. Two scoops, chocolate."

I  wasn't sure my ears heard right, and the others were aghast.  "Along with
heated apple pie," Mae added, completely unabashed.  We tried to act quite
nonchalant, as if people did this all the time. But when our orders were
brought  out, I didn't enjoy mine. I couldn't take my eyes off Mae as her pie
a-la-mode  went down. The other ladies showed dismay. They ate their lunches
silently and  frowned.

The  next time I went out to eat, I called and invited Mae.  I lunched on
white  meat tuna.  She ordered a parfait.  I smiled.  She asked if she  amused
me.  I answered, "Yes, you do, but also you confuse me.  How  come you order
rich desserts, while I feel I must be sensible?

She  laughed and said, with wanton mirth, "I'm tasting  all  that's
Possible.  I try to eat the food I need, and do the things I should. But  life's so
short, my friend, I hate missing out on something good. This year I  realized
how old I was. (She grinned) I haven't been this old before."

"So,  before I die, I've got to try those things that for years I had
ignored.  I  haven't smelled all the flowers yet.  There are too many books I haven't
 read.  There's more fudge sundaes to wolf down and kites to be flown
overhead.  There are many malls I haven't shopped.  I've not laughed  at all the
jokes.  I've missed a lot of Broadway hits and potato chips and  cokes.

I  want to wade again in water and feel ocean spray on my face.  I want to
sit  in a country church once more and thank God for His grace.  I want peanut
butter every day spread on my morning toast.  I want UN-timed long distance
calls to the folks I love the most.  I haven't cried at all the movies yet,  or
walked in the morning rain.  I need to feel wind in my hair.  I  want to fall
in love again.  So, if I choose to have dessert, instead of  having dinner,
then should I die  before  night fall, I'd say I died a winner, because I
missed out on nothing.  I  filled my heart's desire.  I had that final chocolate
mousse before my life  expired."

With  that, I called the waitress over. "I've changed my mind," I said. "I
want what  she is having, only add some more whipped cream!"

This  is my gift to you - We need an annual Friends Day!  If  you get this
twice, then you have more than one friend.  Live well, love much &  laugh often
- Be happy.

PLEASE  PASS THIS ON TO YOUR FRIENDS IF YOU WANT TO.

Be  mindful that happiness isn't based on possessions, power, or prestige,
but on  relationships with people we love and respect. Remember that while money
talks,  CHOCOLATE SINGS !
http://www.aol.com.