[at-l] Speed Record

The Weathercarrot weathercarrot at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 1 17:20:27 CST 2007

Weary writes:

<< I  suspect the n-S record may have been set by Ward Leonard on the second
leg
of  his distance record attempt in 1991. >>

Ward's "unsupported" speed record of 60.5 days occured in 1990. In 1991, he
did the trail 3 times, twice northbound and then southbound, plus Springer
to Erwin on a fourth. I saw him that year in the Shenandoahs during his
second northbound, as well as Sherburne Pass on his southbound. I'm not sure
anyone knows how many days any of those hikes were (besides being longer
than 60.5 days), or how they compare to Squeaky's unsupported 2005
southbound.

wc

Sly writes:

<< Ward probably would have it if it included carrying a backpack and doing
your own resupply, but I belive Pete Palmer has it in something like 48+
days
going S-N..  Andrew Thompson aka Trail Dog hold the overall record going
south
at 47+ days.  Squeaky will be attempting a sub-40 day hike southbound  later
this year. >>

and