[at-l] doing AT without a partner

Ken Bennett bennettk at wfu.edu
Thu Feb 7 11:57:27 CST 2008

>  Here's my predicament: my friend will not be able to hike with me. So
> i'll be doing it alone. I am familiar and fine with lack of comfort,
> physical exhaustion, dehydration, and other attractions of the trail, but
> the one thing I am seriously afraid of is being alone during the night. So,
> what should I do? How does one find a partner?
>  I plan on going South to North. The earliest I can start would be in the
> second half of May, and by that time all thruhikers will have left Georgia
> far behind. Any advice (other than start in Maine)? Does anybody ever start
> this late from Georgia?

Tanya,

There are plenty of people on the Trail in the south during May and June.
Sure, the through-hikers are mostly gone, but you'll find plenty of college
students and others. While you still might have a shelter to yourself
occasionally, for the most part you won't be alone.

Your other option is to start in Damascus and hike North. Then you'll be in
the middle of the thru-hiker group. May is a fine time to hike in Virginia.

Or, as you point out, start in Maine in early June.

Happy trails.

--Ken