[at-l] Three American Hikers Missing in Iran

Tom McGinnis sloetoe at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 1 09:18:44 CDT 2009

--- On Sat, 8/1/09, Tenacious Tanasi <tenacious_tanasi at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I mean... there are so many trails out there just begging to be
> hiked.  Why hike so close to that kind of danger?

> I'd much rather face down an ole bee stung  bear
> or rattler any day than look down the barrel of a gun!

> I know that there are places that I would give almost
> anything to hike.  I just think sometimes folks are a bit foolish.
>   Tenacious Tanasi

### Most people consider hiking to be a form of "recreation" that borders on psycho-pathology. Hiking off of paved trails is worse. Hiking up un-groomed (or ungroomable) trails is worse. Hiking in rain is idiocy. Hiking in snow is madness. Hiking in heat is self- or spouse- or child-abuse. Spending the night is rape waiting to happen.

### Really, what we need to do to stop this madness is find all those who "practice" this sort of thing and make sure they are removed from the gene pool -- this "Human The Explorer" sort of thing must be rooted out, and replaced with "Human The Follower" and "Human The Keeper Of Good Social Order And Right Ways" -- I mean, really, this Spirit Of Adventure sort of thing is just fine until somebody gets hurt. Let's just all grow up a bit and stop it before something bad happens. (Or worse, somebody else shows up with ropes expecting to climb UP the cliff, instead of just walking up to the face of it. They should be jailed *now*.)

Yours In The Nanny State,
sloetoe