[at-l] Gifts for people getting ready to thru-hike

Amy Forinash amy at forinash.net
Wed Feb 4 13:23:55 CST 2009

On Feb 4, 2009, at 1:45 PM, Nina Rogers wrote:

> Any suggestions? All I can think of is stamps for postcards. Do
> people even use phone cards anymore? I got a bunch of them before my
> hike, and appreciated them very much, but that was in the dark ages.
>
> I’m giving a party for some friends who are getting ready to thru-
> hike and want to give people suggestions for fun gifts they can
> bring. I’ve come up with a great list of what not to buy (bowling
> balls, fine china, etc.) I’m drawing a blank for gifts that could
> actually be useful, though. Anyone?

Gift cards for common grocery chains along the way, or for 7-11.
Phone cards are still used.  Eensy pinch lights.  Airline size bottles
of booze (in plastic bottles) available from your local liquor store.
Sample or small size containers of gold bond, body glide, or blister
shield.  Spyroflex skin saver bandages.  Sea to summit ultra sil dry
sacks.  Advil.  A pot cozy if you know their pot size.  Ear plugs.  A
bug headnet.