[at-l] Gifts for people getting ready to thru-hike

Ken Bennett bennett.ken at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 13:31:36 CST 2009

2009/2/4 Nina Rogers <Nina.Rogers at drakesoftware.com>

>  Any suggestions? All I can think of is stamps for postcards. Do people
> even use phone cards anymore? I got a bunch of them before my hike, and
> appreciated them very much, but that was in the dark ages.

There are still some pay phones in small trail towns, also phones at
hostels. Phone cards are still useful in those places.

Postcards and stamps, maybe. I think many hikers use email these days at the
town library.

I liked Amy's list. Beyond that, I don't know. You don't want to weigh them
down with gear or food at the beginning of the hike. So two things come to
mind:

1. find out if there is one piece of luxury gear they still want/need, and
buy it for them (down booties, hiking sticks, Montbell UL down jacket) --
OK, that's an expensive option.

2. A "gift certificate" for care packages on the trail. Make a specific list
of PO's that you will mail special treats to, like brownies or cookies, that
sort of thing. Stuff that will make them popular with the other hikers <g>.
Then they will know which PO's to stop at for a treat. More personal and
less expensive.

--Ken