[at-l] Rescue at Rice Field Shelter

kinnickinichere at aol.com kinnickinichere at aol.com
Fri Apr 2 08:57:14 CDT 2010

Actually, I have been trained and certified as an EMT-B urban, rural, and wilderness (SOLO) certification in Colorado, Texas, and North Carolina.  My last certification was a few years ago.  Like all medicine, one needs to keep up, learning all the new stuff.  It's amazing the details that one can forget or how different the training about anything can be from time period to time period (for instance, CPR and snake bite).

I began doing this because I kept coming onto auto accidents on highways as either the first or second person there.  It was frustrating to know only vaguely or not at all what to do.  (No cell phones then.)  Also, I lived where there wasn't much medical help available and, as you know, loved to be in the back country.  It also was halpful when I applied to become a National Park ranger at Rocky Mountain NP.

Ultimately though, I learned that it was to protect me from the well-meaning people who might come upon me after a serious injury.  They are so willing to help, but they may/may not know exactly what to do.  Unless I am unconscious, I can communicate with them about what needs to be done (not a la TV program but actually).

I am not current right now but have not had the money to take a class.  I have felt naked without the current training, but, as Mara said, there is review of materials and, also, one can do some research.  At this point I'd take the Wilderness First Responder class, but that is because it goes deeper into the "why" rather than just "what to do."

John's account has him digging into his brain, remembering guidelines and priorities.  When he acted, he acted because he was pretty sure it was the right thing to do.  If you have to flounder, well, you suffer and so can the patient.

This is my note of encouragement to all to go to the trouble and whatever expense to receive this training.  Just consider it an expensive (but not any more expensive than a lot of stuff we purchase to be comfortable and safe on the trail), very light weight piece of great backpacking equipment.  The training is kinda fun too.

Sawnie
(KInnickinic)