[at-l] "Brrr!" Re: Man! We need a hike!!!

Ken Bennett bennett.ken at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 10:56:42 CDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 11:18 AM, Tom McGinnis <sloetoe at yahoo.com> wrote:

> In 30+ years, I think I have only been on/over Rogers/Highlands during the
> month of May. And at this point, it's 50|50 as to weather (pun intended)
> there will be ice, sleet, blowing snow, and/or accumulation up to a foot
> (where the wicked wind has left it unperturbed). I wouldn't be treatin'
> those miles lightly.

I've hiked that area in every month of the year, many times -- it's my
favorite place. This time of year the weather is generally excellent. For
our weekend hike this week, we expect highs around 50 and lows around
freezing, or a little lower. Given the weather so far this week, there is
zero chance of snow on the ground right now (it's in the 60s and raining.)

That said, when winter comes it's best to be aware of the weather conditions
up there. 5000+ feet is *very* different from the lower elevations. It can
be beautiful in Damascus and treacherous on Wilburn Ridge.

--Ken