[at-l] Poughkeepsie, Nuclear Lake

RockDancer rockdancer97 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 29 11:50:29 CDT 2011

Hi all,

This article, 3 days ago, in the Poughkeepsie Journal contained the
following paragraph. Anyone know more of the history of this "non-nuclear
explosion"?

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/article/20110327/LIFE08/103270301/Head-fo
r-the-trails-to-enjoy-spring?odyssey=tab|mostpopular|text|LIFE

"... Nuclear Lake is 57 acres and manmade. It was once owned by the United
Nuclear Corp., but has since become a part of Appalachian National Scenic
Trail. The property, in 1972, was apparently the location of a non-nuclear
explosion, after which the United Nuclear Corp. closed the site down and
cleaned up the property. While that all sounds very scary, the trail is
wonderful, the lake beautiful, and, no worries, you won't need a Geiger
counter after you come out of the woods."

Perhaps the events in Japan have been more on my mind than I thought. It
never occurred to me that something had happened at the site, I thought it
had outlived its usefulness, the land was near the AT and perhaps no one
wanted it after the cleanup. Thanks for any info! --RD