[at-l] Ref Water Treatment

Leslie Booher lbooher at charter.net
Fri Jan 8 16:06:01 CST 2016

What is the best method for treating water on an AT thru hike?

After all the other choices mentioned, I'll add this: It never hurts to fold
a clean-ish bandanna a couple of times and use it to strain your water.  It
helps weed out the floaties.  I say 'clean-ish', because they're never truly
clean after you've been out awhile.  Still, it helps your peace of mind to
do just a little bit of treating.  I use Clorox drops when I'm in doubt
about the water source.

Oh, and no one has mentioned the weight of carrying a filtration system, nor
how confusing all those hoses can be.  After a few times, I figured I was
really doing no good, anyway, and left the thing home.

a'bear

Humankind: Be both.

---