[cdt-l] Pepper Spray?

Sam Haraldson samh at samh.net
Sun Apr 1 12:43:01 CDT 2007

>    2. Re: Pepper Spray?

I've hiked 1,000 plus miles in the Northwest Montana backcountry, seen
dozens and dozens of bears and only carried bear spray when I was
getting paid by the feds (in which case it was a requirement).  That
can of pepper spray never ONCE got unclippped from my backpack.

If you make noise coming around corners and through thick vegetation
and follow proper cooking and food storage techniques there's no need
for pepper spray.  This has been said time and time again in many
conversations but I'm chipping in my point because I don't don't think
carrying a useless 5 or 10 extra ounces is worth anyone's while.

- sam_h