[cdt-l] Fording rivers on the CDT

Lawton Grinter lawtong at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 12 14:00:30 CDT 2007

Nacona, I went southbound on the CDT last year and found that the Bob
Marshall Wilderness had the most fords in a given section of anywhere on the
entire CDT.  I will say this . . . the deepest ford that we dealt with on
the CDT was just above knee deep and it was in Yellowstone.  I hiked the PCT
in 04´and found some of the fords in Northern Oregon to be a lot
tougher/more dangerous than anything I experienced on the CDT.  Having said
that I should also mention that I took a high route around the Gila River in
New Mexico and only crossed the Gila once . . . and did so on a nice dry
log!

Bottom line . . . I wouldn´t be that concerned about fords on the CDT . . .
not a big deal.  For whatever it´s worth, I carried no camp shoes and just
forded all the streams in my running shoes.

Hope this helps.

Best, Disco

lawton grinter
PO Box 941