[cdt-l] Fording rivers on the CDT

Ginny & Jim Owen spiritbear2k at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 13 00:07:54 CDT 2007

Northbound, the Gila crossing at Sapillo Creek is the one that hikers in the
past have had the most problems with in high snow years.  Last year it was
less than mid-calf on us.  There are many many crossings in the Gila so most
people either stick with Tevas or wear their trail shoes the entire way and
just live with wet feet.  Crossings are usually not particularly deep or
fast, just frequent.

Southbound the biggest crossings are in the Bob Marshall as the snow is
melting.  Have you seen the McVeigh video?  It can get pretty bad.  In 1999
we had three river crossings we didn't feel safe making.  The detours were
not much better.  There were some days where we had a half dozen crossings.
One of the biggest pleasures of our hike last year was rock hopping all the
streams that I remembered as high-thigh.  (And there was a bridge over one
of the worst crossings.) Mostly it was the cold that was the problem in
June, not the depth.  If you are there before the bridges are in, the
crossings in Glacier can be bad.  I've read accounts of long detours to get
around unbridged streams.  We didn't have that problem on our southbound
hike.

You can get some wide crossings in the Winds as well.  Last year was so dry
they weren't an issue, but I remember thigh deep crossings from our first
hike.  But it was so warm, they felt good. As others have said, the outlet
to Shoshone Lake in Yellowstone is a deep one, especially if you cross where
the trail seems to cross.  There may be a sandbank upstream or down that is
much better.  We had a hiker tell us about swimming it, but we crossed knee
deep about 20 yards upstream.

Ginny

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/